No she didn't leave, leave. She went to B.C. to visit my grandparents because it is soon to be their 60th anniversary. Wow, to be married 60 years. That's a long time. Anyway, my dad and I had to do the normal mom stuff. Last night we cooked supper. As I pulled out our little rice making dish we have I realized I didn’t actually know how to make rice! I am a little ashamed. But he didn’t know how either. I knew you just put rice and water in, but I didn’t know how much of what. I ended up calling Pam. So that went alright in the end but since we didn't know when anyone came home we started it too early and ended up over cooking a few things. Not a bit deal, it still tasted fine.
Every time my mom leaves, we sneakily clean out our fridge. She’s not one to throw things out. But the rest of my family is. So that already started to happen. Yesterday my dad was looking in the freezer for something. I don’t think he found it. But he did find something else. It’s in the garbage now. That’s how it goes when mom's gone. Get rid of as much as you can.
Now, my dad is not the kind of guy who cooks supper often, or does the grocery shopping. He’s more of the in the garage kind of dad. We went grocery shopping today though, one of the things my mom didn't have enough time to do before she left. So as we walked into the store I asked “Wow, when was the last time we went grocery shopping together?” He replied, “Probably when you were about five.” As our shopping progressed I realized he didn't really know where anything was. As we wandered around I couldn't help giggling as I saw my dad trying to pick out a loaf of bread, and pushing a shopping cart around with bananas, tea and bread in it. The only carts he pushes are dolly’s with stacks of chairs or washing machines on them, or the big yellow carts at Rona filled with various tools and supplies for whatever project he has going on in that garage of his.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
good luck on staying fed while your mom is gone. maybe if bob brought a trolley to the grocery store...
A little like a fish out of water, or maybe a man out of his garage. At least your dad goes with you. My dad dropped Yvonne and I off at the grocery store, I think I was 13, when my mom was gone. He went home and then came back to pick us up when we were done!
I think sometimes dad forgets that we have actually been left home by ourselves before. I mean, the constant worrying about supper and groceries, and who's home when... it's kind of out of his character a bit, but we do know a little about taking care of ourselves!
It's so weird to hear your stories of living with "Retired Dad." He's so different from the dad I grew up with. My stories are all like Linda's...
I like my retired dad!
Hey I thought of a good name for your next post...'My Mom got back 3 days ago'. Whaddaya think?
How about the 17th...?
Post a Comment