Friday, November 09, 2007

Something Strange

Throughout my high school career there have been three main books we have read in English class. They are To Kill a Mocking Bird, in grade ten, The Lord of the Flies, in grade eleven, and The Catcher in the Rye, this year. Now I will take this time to explain that I thoroughly enjoy reading, I would even go as far to say I love it. I like to read in my spare time, I like reading books that I love over and over again. Some days all I do is read, just sit and read, start the book, finish the book, one sitting. Just me and the book. So after all of that I will go on to tell you that out of these three books I haven't taken the time to finish one of them. And it’s not even because I don't like them. I do like them. I actually have absolutely no reason not to finish them. I like them, their not even very long. Plus the fact that with each novel we have had tests, done projects, discussions and essays on them. And I still didn't take the time to read one of them. I have always started them, and I read about half, but never have enough time to finish it before the test (ironically they are usually tests just to see if you have read the book). I always either get someone to tell me what happens at the end or just wing it. And the stupid thing is I always do fine on the test and all the following assignments.
This year we read The Catcher in the Rye. I was on page 102 when we had the test (I think there were 198 pages) and I got 19/20 on it. We have had many discussions and are currently working on a monologue we have to present in front of the class and an essay due the week after. And today as I was talking to my teacher I told her all of this and she didn't get mad at me, she didn't even tell me off, all she said was I think you'd enjoy it (The Catcher) if you read it. That was it. So I think I'm going to finish it this weekend. Only 3 weeks after the test, but I will finish it. And possibly some day I will pick up the other two and finish them too...

5 comments:

Eric Postma said...

Cather in the Rye is one of my all time favourites, we should have a group discussion when you're done! (just kidding).... Mockingbird is also one of my favourites. I'd suggest reading that one if you haven't finished it yet too.

pamero said...

I like your teacher just from that one comment.

corrie said...

I really liked Catcher in the Rye, too. Somehow I missed reading it in highschool (we probably just read other good books). When I borrowed it from Pam a few years ago to read it I absolutely loved it and asked her if I could keep it. She said no. I found my own copy at a second hand store the other month and am very happy to own it now. Wow. That was a pretty boring story. Sorry about that.

Kim O said...

i liked your story...

pamero said...

I also liked your story, corrie. Also, becky, I liked how yesterday at your house, Dad was reading TCITR. That was cool. Nice influencing of your father's book choice. ha HA!